Smiley Heart - Donate now!   Faites un don!   Smiley Heart - Donate now!
À PROPOS > HISTORIQUE

Our History

The fifty year history of the Cedars Home for the Elderly is distinguished by its reputation of hospitality and commitment to the Christian and Arabic speaking Middle Eastern Community.

In 1954, Wilfrid Howick, John Lutfy and George Rossy called upon the Syrian Ladies Aid Society, under the leadership of their capable president, Mrs. Nellie Shatilla, and their secretary, Mrs. Lodie Saykaly, to call a meeting of the various groups in Montreal, such as the churches and the Syrian Canadian Association, to launch the project now known as “The Cedars”.

A provisional committee was formed from some of the leader citizens of our community to investigate, explore and recommend on the feasibility of founding a Home for the elderly of the Syrian-Lebanese community. Thanks to this group of concerned citizens and their sincere desire to look after our elderly, the seed of their dream was planted and the first meeting was held on October 28, 1954.

As a result of the committee’s findings, the first official Board of Directors was elected on June 21, 1956, with representatives form various organizations of our community.

The acquisition of a house at 95 Gouin Boulevard in 1957 allowed the admission of 12 senior citizens. In October 1960, ten rooms were added; this increased the admission capacity to twenty two (22).

In February 1961, the Ladies’ Auxiliary was created with the mandate to promote: “the development of activities which focus on the well-being of the residents, to participate in the organization of these monthly and yearly activities for the benefit of the residents”.

In 2001, the establishment was transferred to the current premises at 1275 Côte Vertu in Saint-Laurent. Thanks to funds allocated by the Board of Directors and the Foundation, the admission capacity increased.

In 2003, thanks to the participation of The Cedars Home Foundation, the Outreach Programs were born: Meals-on-Wheels, the Day Program and the Habitations Les Cèdres - St Georges. These services proved to be very popular and continued to grow.

In September 2007, the Canadian Council on Accreditation granted the establishment its first accreditation.

In the fall of 2009, the Agency of health and social services approved an Intermediate Care Facility project «resource intermédiaire» for the elderly of the Christian Middle Eastern community. The project is the result of collaboration and partnership between public (CSSS Bordeaux-Cartierville-Saint-Laurent), private (Global Inc.) and the Cedars Home. The CSSS have the responsibility of overseeing the quality and the clinical and social management is entrusted to the Cedars Home through a service agreement. The Intermediate Care Facility «resource intermédiaire Les Cèdres - L’Acadie» opened in May 2011, and offers services to 32 elderly of the Arabic speaking Christian Middle Eastern community.

Cedars Home

Request a callback

  Your name
  Your phone number
  Preferred call back time